ONLINE CONTENT MANAGER
GOODWILL INDUSTRIES INTERNATIONAL
At Goodwill Industries International, I oversee strategy and content management for the agency’s award-winning public-facing blog and podcast, as well as our newsletters. I also serve as managing editor of GoodwillTODAY, the online news portal and daily newsletter for the international Goodwill enterprise.
Choreographing content for these channels requires constant and open communication with more than two dozen professionals from GII, Goodwill agencies and the public. Measuring user uptake and engagement with these web products is also a priority, and I use these figures to report quarterly on progress to annual goals (aligned with our strategic plan) and to make adjustments to content where needed.
My expertise in content production has led to my engagement in several other initiatives. My roles have included architecting Homefront Chats, the video-based storytelling initiative featuring OEF/OIF veterans being served by Goodwill’s Operation: GoodJobs program, and co-producing our award-winning annual videos showcasing Goodwill program participants. I also support Goodwill’s public website and intranet development, contributing in the areas of content, information architecture and user experience.
Previous roles at Goodwill: Communications Specialist (June 2009-January 2011) and Senior Communications Specialist (January 2011-January 2013).
ONLINE CONTENT EDITOR
CHANGING LIVES THROUGH LITERATURE
January 2008-August 2009
At Changing Lives Through Literature, I worked with the organization’s director to launch the agency’s official blog, Changing Lives, Changing Minds and promote it within relevant online communities and local media outlets.
I collaborated with experts in the education and criminal justice communities to contribute weekly posts on the role of literacy and learning on human behavior and their potential to reform individuals with criminal backgrounds. I also participated in content creation by crafting blog posts on topics pertinent to the mission of CLTL.
Posts from all authors were edited to adhere to style standards and to best practices in writing for the web.
PROFESSIONAL WRITING PROGRAM ASSISTANT
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS DARTMOUTH
September 2008-May 2009
As the assistant for UMass Dartmouth’s graduate Professional Writing Program, I regularly collaborated with faculty and other subject-matter experts to create promotional materials such as press releases, brochures and the English Department print newsletter. Upholding the department’s professional image in print, oral, and electronic communications with outside parties was also a key priority.
Research was also an important part of my role. I conducted department-improvement analysis and conveyed recommendations and findings in written reports to faculty. I also supported faculty members with professional research and publishing projects.
TEMPER LITERARY JOURNAL
April 2008-May 2009
As the managing editor for the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth’s literary journal, Temper, I oversaw the day-to-day operations of the publication, including editorial and design meetings, print and electronic promotional efforts, and the production process.
I appointed and managed the journal’s designer and editorial staff, collaborating with them to deliver content and complete tasks according to the annual marketing and distribution plans I developed.
Post publication, I organized and emceed the annual launch party for the new issue and developed a transition plan for the incoming editor.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
- - Marketing Intern @ Maine State Music Theatre (May-August 2008)
- - Technical Communications Teaching Fellow @ the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth (August 2007-2008)
- - English Language Instructor @ French Ministry of Education in Dijon, France (October 2006-April 2007)
- - Marketing Intern @ University Press of Kentucky (2005-2007)
- - Circulation Assistant @ William T. Young Library (2003-2006)
TALKS AND PRESENTATIONS
- - 2013 – “The Convergence of PR and Journalism: New Careers in Content Marketing” (New York Press Club Foundation Conference)
- - 2013 – “Writing for Social Media: PR Secrets of Stellar Tweets, Tags, Hashtags and Social Updates That Build SEO, Followers and Sales” (PR University)
- - 2013 – Presentation on content marketing for George Washington University graduate students
- - 2013 – Presentation on digital PR and content marketing for George Mason University undergraduate students
- - 2013 – Cross-Channel Storytelling Cohort Facilitator (Goodwill Summer Conference)
- - 2012 – “The Goodwill Shop Show” [Producer] (Goodwill Summer Conference)
- - 2011 – “Grow Your Goodwill’s Blog: Content Models that Work” (Goodwill Summer Conference)
- - 2011 – “Communicating Goodwill: Strengthening the Brand through Style and Consistency” (Goodwill Summer Conference)
MA IN PROFESSIONAL WRITING
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS DARTMOUTH
August 2007-May 2009
At UMass Dartmouth, I was awarded a teaching fellowship in 2007-2008, and was named the program’s sole graduate assistant for 2008-2009. Upon graduation, I was awarded the Augustus Silva Award, given to a single graduate student for outstanding graduate work in English. My thesis portfolio focused on arts communications, with coursework in web 2.0 technologies, copyediting, grant writing, rhetoric, stylistics and more.
BA IN ENGLISH AND FRENCH
UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY
August 2002-May 2006
I was awarded the four-year Presidential Scholarship to attend the University of Kentucky, where I was also appointed to the university’s Honors Program. After double-majoring in English and French, I graduated Summa Cum Laude with honors in both fields, and was named a member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society.
CERTIFICATE IN WEB DESIGN
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
To be completed in December 2013
WEB WRITING AND EDITING
MARKUP AND STYLE SHEET LANGUAGES
HTML/XHTML, CSS, XML
CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
WordPress, Alfresco, SharePoint, LifeRay, Drupal
EMAIL MARKETING SERVICE PROVIDERS
MailChimp, Constant Contact, Blackbaud Sphere
WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr
SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORKS
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Foursquare
OTHER SOFTWARE AND APPLICATIONS
Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite, Wufoo, HootSuite, TweetDeck
Team projects and initiatives I have worked on have won:
2013 – Communicator Award – Silver Award of Distinction – Nonprofit Online Video
2013 – LACP Inspire Award – Platinum Award for Corporate Publishing
2013 – LACP Inspire Award – Top 50 Corporate Publishing Materials (#11 out of nearly 550 entries)
2013 – AVA Award – Gold Award
2013 – AVA Award – Honorable Mention
2012 – LACP Spotlight Award – Platinum Award for Organizational Video
2012 – LACP Spotlight Award – Bronze Award for Best In-House Video
2012 – LACP Spotlight Award – Bronze Award for Organizational Video
2012 – LACP Spotlight Award – Top 100 Communications Materials (#30 out of nearly 1, 500 entries)
2012 – Telly Award (Bronze) – Charitable / Nonprofit Video
2012 – APEX Award – Video Publication
2010 – SNCR Excellence in New Communications Award – Online Publishing and Blogging
2010 – Silver Inkwell Award – Social Media Strategy
2010 – APEX Award – Best Microsite or Individual Web Page
- - 2013 – “Crowdsourcing Your Employee Communications.” PR News Employee Communications Guidebook, Volume 4.
- - 2012 – “People with Disabilities Empower Themselves to Achieve Job Success.” Working! Magazine. Volume 15, Number 2.
- - 2010 – “Goodwill Empowers Job Seekers to Begin Green-Sector Careers.” Working! Magazine. Volume 13, Number 1.